Mother & Daughter Circle
Why Mother and Daughter Circles?
This circle is not running at present
It is sooo important that our daughters gather in circles from a young age and share their stories and passions with other girls and with other mothers, and that they see and experience a different way of being, especially if they attend school.
I am a mother of two girls, an only child, and the child of an only child.
For the first 18 years of my life, I lived in a small village in France. Only 30 miles south-east of Paris, but a tiny village nonetheless, one where there was no sense of community.
I have craved a community of like-minded women ever since.
And now that I have daughters myself (born in 2008 and 2012), I crave this community for them too.
So I have decided to create it.
As a therapist (hypnotherapist and NLP, EFT and Reiki practitioner), my number 1 priority is to equip my girls and the girls of my community with practical tools that will serve them all their lives, so they can find emotional and physical balance as they grow into women and then perhaps mothers themselves one day.
There is so much to learn along the way, and it is hard to learn and teach all this on our own as mothers. It does take a village to raise children, and because I have daughters and I’m a woman myself, I want to help raise our daughters as confident young women, who know what they want for themselves and have the tools to get there. One of my deepest wishes is that a father in our community decides to do the same for our boys and young men.
Throughout each circle, my guiding principles are as follows:
- Emotional well-being
- Physical well-being
The circles I guide draw from a number of wisdom traditions including Buddhist, Taoist, pagan, Native American and shamanic, and yet are completely secular and appropriate for girls and women of all open-minded religious/spiritual/philosophical backgrounds. I choose these elements according to my sense of the needs of the girls and their mothers, which is most often:
- to acknowledge the Feminine and the Sacred within us all, as human beings and as women and future women
- to be fed and grounded by the boundless love of Mother Earth
- to be bathed by the golden light of acceptance and support of the Universe (or God or Goddess if you have one)
- and to sense the beauty and mystery that is within us and all around us.
Who is the circle for?
These circles are for mums and their daughters aged around 6 to 10.
You are welcome to join my Facebook group here to find out more and see what we are up to before you decide to come to a circle.
How each circle unfolds
- Opening of the circle, drawing from the traditional ways of opening a circle of women, calling in the 4 directions and elements and doing a short meditation.
- Talking about what we’re going to do before we begin, adapting and experimenting according to the wishes of the mothers and daughters.
- Going around the circle, each mum and daughter in turn, talking about how the week/month has been and our thoughts about the circle’s topic/theme.
- Activity/Learning the tool of the month.
- Closing the circle.
- Snack and chat.
Themes for the next circles
I have many, many ideas for these circles!
My intention is to select a gift that each girl will receive at each circle, based on the theme of the circle, and to guide the activities and tool-learning according to this theme.
In no particular order:
- Designing your special Circle Box
- Mandala workshop for decorating your Circle Boxes
- Crystals and designing chakra charts
- Affirmations and affirmation cards
- Essential oils
- Friendship circle – red thread and making friendship bracelets
- Preparing a Moon Basket (for menarche/first periods)
- The gift of your body
- The cycles of the moon
- The magic of our menstrual cycle
- New Moon Intention
- Full Moon Release
- The chakras, their colours and matching crystals
- The art of just being – doing absolutely nothing, daydreaming
- EFT for anxiety and stress release
- Breathing techniques for anxiety and stress release
- NLP techniques for confidence
Singing, dancing and reading stories will also be included. These circles are for learning but also for having fun!
Making childhood sacred…
- is not about filling up our children’s schedules to the brim
- is not about permissiveness, or authoritarianism
- is not about being a ‘perfect’ parent
- is not about always putting our children’s needs above our own
- solitary reflective time
- unstructured free play and chatting
- finding a sense of purpose, away from shame, blame and external standards and expectations
‘Children whose gifts and contributions are acknowledged naturally assume a purposeful role in their family and community. Children who are offered mentorship and an adolescent rite of passage have the best chance of finding their authentic selves in service to community and the world.’Katharine Krueger
Benefits of my Mother and Daughter Circle
- To deepen or better the bond between you and your daughter.
- To teach you and your daughter a different way to experience female company – with other girls and other mothers, in circle, a sacred space where there is no judgement (or where we learn not to judge at the very least), where we are all equal, as human beings, as girls/future women, as women.
- To develop friendships that potentially have a deeper meaning than the ones developed at school.
- To experiment with slightly more spiritual tools than you and your daughters may be used to, e.g. remembering our ancestors, honouring the 4 directions and natural elements, using crystals, meditation (though this is not necessarily spiritual).
- To implement personal practices to heal and empower your Inner Maidens.
- To learn tools that you will both be able to use throughout your lives, for physical, emotional, mental and spiritual issues, such as meditation, gratitude practice, journaling, breathing techniques, EFT, NLP, essential oils, relaxation etc.
- To learn, in a healthy, non-judgemental way, about the female body, the menstrual cycle, the changes the girls’ bodies will go through over the next decade or so.
- To learn about the moon and how to use its cycles in our own lives.
Dates of future Circles
- 13 May – Why we gather in circle and receive and decorate your special Circle Box
- 24 June – Mandala Workshop, decorating the tops of the boxes received in the first circle
- 15 July – Crystals, chakras and chakra chart
- Not running at present
What to wear and bring
- wear something really comfy as we’ll be sitting down on the floor (but there are lots of cushions and the option to sit down on a sofa or chair)
- a bottle of water
- a thermos for a hot drink if you wish
- an item for the altar if you wish (eg. flower, candle, feather)
- a journal for self-reflection
- a pen
- pens and pencils in a pencil case
Healthy snacks will be provided after the circle.
How to book
Booking is essential as places are limited (10 mums and daughters maximum). Book via my scheduler here or by clicking below. Fill in your details and you will then be taken to a PayPal page.
- £12 per daughter
- £10 per mother
- Includes gifts and materials.
- The £5 booking fee is non-refundable (payment via PayPal upon booking). The balance will be due (cash only) upon your arrival on the day of the circle (£5 for you and £7 for each daughter).
- Please note that specialist workshops such as Amanda’s Mandala Workshop and essential oils workshops are more expensive and will have to be booked upfront (and be non-refundable) as they require the buying of more materials and sometimes other people’s time too.