Why am I a Book Doula?
I was born with a book in my hands, eagle eyes and an obsessive attention to detail.
All my books, even on my Kindle, have proofreading marks in them. I can’t help it. A perfectionist, I love making things pretty, neat and (as) perfect (as possible).
With age and experience in the publishing industry, I have come to accept that perfection is hardly ever attainable. There is always at least one typo left in each book in the world. Far too often, there are many more than that.
And don’t get me started on the poor grammar and repetitions!
Smoothing out all those imperfections is my passion.
My other passion is talking (I got told off many times at school for being a chatterbox), giving tips, imparting my knowledge and mentoring people, women in particular, especially mothers and daughters. I have two daughters myself, and we all love writing, sharing it with each other, meditating, looking at pretty things and talking about life (yes, they’re only 6 and 10!).
When I realised I could combine all the loves of my life – reading, writing, editing, proofreading, talking, sharing and mentoring – I felt whole finally, after years of doing it all but in a compartmentalised way, the pieces of the puzzle scattered and only used on and off.
The editing and proofreading in educational publishing, which I did in house and freelance between 2000 and 2012 (when my second daughter was born), didn’t light me up any more, but I was still doing it on and off between 2015 and 2018. I still loved the process and talking all things structure, punctuation, amusing typos and downright mistakes with my in-house colleague, friend and project manager. But I couldn’t see myself going back to this full time because of the dryness of the subjects and the already-set formats. the lack of freedom. While I am glad and honoured to have helped thousands of pupils and students around the globe to learn better, more wisely but also whilst having fun, I am even more honoured to help women birth books that will impact other women in ways that they can’t even imagine right now.
When I realised how many women around me (online and in real life) had a book in them that would change lives, in particular for other women, NOW I was totally lit up as I had this deep knowing that I could help them and, very importantly, wanted to help them, be by their side, coax their ideas out of them, hold space for them so that they could birth their ‘baby’, release their book into the world, in the same way that I had held space for and nurtured many women antenatally and in labour over the previous 6 years.
And so the concept of ‘Saveria the Book Doula’ and my ‘Birth Your Book’ packages were born!
(And I want to pause here and credit my darling husband for the latter name – being the practical and scientifically minded man that he is, he came up with a catchy phrase that would mean that anyone reading it would instantly know what my business was about – rather than ‘book doulaing’, which, admittedly, is a bit obscure for people who do not bathe in the birthing world!)
I am here to help you birth your book and live a fulfilling life.
A life of creativity, serenity and freedom.
Writing (I also do ghostwriting)
NLP (Neurological Linguistic Programming)
EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), aka ‘tapping’
As a therapist and mentor, I specialise in anxiety and stress issues because I know these issues very intimately (having suffered from them myself at one point or another of my life) and in helping women and young girls rise from traumatic experiences (including PTSD and birth trauma).
I love seeing women and girls recover so quickly from issues that had felt so deep and irremediable, far too often for years or even decades.
The techniques I use are safe and offer quick, effective and long-term resolution of any kind of trauma.
The book-writing process
I would like to make sure you know that I am very familiar with the creative and book-writing process, its ebb and flow, its ups and downs. I have been writing since I was around 8 years old. I am in the process of birthing my own books too (yes, several, because I write as I read – several books at a time!). It’s a long process because I can’t clone myself – I don’t have my own Book Doula! But I am getting there.
I am surrounded by women who are just like me: passionate about holistic therapies, spirituality in some way or other, helping other women (in life or/and in business) and sharing their wisdom with the world.
If you have read this far, I know you are too. So if I sound like your kind of editor and mentor/doula, get in touch, I can’t wait to have a chat with you and help you birth your book 🙂
Saveria is a guide, a coach, a mentor who helps people work things out for themselves in their own time. They don’t need a path to follw, they don’t need signs to tell them which way to go and what to think and what to do. They simply need Saveria to coax them along their own journey. She truly is an amazing Book Doula and Motherhood Mentor.Rena Gough
Overall, my mission is to help women enjoy motherhood while fulfilling their desires, birthing their true selves and birthing their books, to live a better, more meaningful life and to feel the freedom.
On another level, I am passionate about the mother-daughter relationship (and I myself have two daughters who were born in 2008 and 2012) and I love preparing young girls for womanhood, especially when it comes to their relationship with food, their body, their creativity, their inner self and their friends, but also for life in general and their place in the world.
Of course, as with everything else I do, this involves giving you and your daughter(s) tools that will help you stop stress and anxiety dead in their tracks and perhaps develop your and their creativity.
Short bio and training
I qualified as a birth doula (professional birth companion) and postnatal doula (mum’s help) in 2011 (I trained with Michel Odent and Liliana Lammers on their Paramana Doula course) and as a HypnoBirthing™ practitioner (the Marie Mongan Method) in 2012. In 2014, I became a HypnoMothering™ practitioner, an IEMT practitioner (Integral Eye Movement Therapy) and finally a Professional and Clinical Hypnotherapist and an EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) and NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming™) practitioner. In 2015, I retrained as a hypnobirthing instructor with The Wise Hippo Ltd. In 2018, I designed and started using my own hypnobirthing and EFT Serene Birth and Motherhood course.
As part of my continuing professional development (CPD) and my own personal development, I read a wide variety of books and articles and I regularly attend seminars, workshops, lectures and courses, whether online or face to face.
- Journey of Young Women online course (2018)
- Rebozo Online Course with Sophie Messager (2018)
- The Food Revolution Summit (2018)
- Self-publishing School online course (2017)
- Holy Fire Reiki I and II with Sophie Messager (2017)
- The Wise Hippo FUSS Free Format (2017)
- Sheila Granger’s Hypnosis for Hormones Programme (2017)
- The Doreen Virtue Certified Crystal Reader course (2017)
- The Sheila Granger Brain Training for Sugar Addiction Programme (2016)
- Closing the Bones (Ecuadorian abdominal massage, ceremony), with Sophie Messager (2016)
- The Mindfulness Summit (2015)
- The Sheila Granger Virtual Gastric Band Programme (2015)
- The Wise Hippo Birthing Programme and Prenatal Parenting Programme (2015)
- Hypnosis for IVF – Learn the Essentials (with the Fertile Body Method) (2015)
- Mindfulness meditation 8-week course (2014)
- The Tongue Tie Workshop – What, Why and How?, with Maddie McMahon (2014)
- The Rebozo Workshop – Wrapped in Love, with Stacia Smales Hill (2013)
- Oxytocin – Tapping the hormone of calm, love and healing, with Kerstin Uvnäs Moberg (2013)
- The Marie Mongan Method HypnoBirthing Practitioner Course (2012)
- Inspirational Birth Workshop, with Liz Nightingale (2011)
- Birth and postnatal doula training with Michel Odent and Liliana Lammers on their Paramana Doula course (2011)
My hypnotherapy and NLP training was with Thoughtitude. The courses are run by June O’Driscoll and Geoff Rolls, who are valuable members of the trainer assisting teams for Richard Bandler (co-creator of NLP) and for Paul McKenna.
My Diploma in Professional and Clinical Hypnotherapy is validated by the General Hypnotherapy Register and the General Hypnotherapy Standards Council (this means you can find my details on the GHR website and thus verify my qualifications) and I am licensed with the Society of NLP (founded by Richard Bandler). I am thus bound by the GHR and NLP Codes of Ethics.
I am fully insured with Arthur J. Gallagher/Royal & Sun Alliance for all the therapies I provide.
A bit more about me…
- I am French and have been living in the UK for nearly 25 years, in the Oxfordshire area for 15. My mother tongue is therefore French, but I speak and write in English completely fluently. All the people I have worked for and with in publishing have commented how my grasp of the English language and grammar is much better than most British people’s! (No offence to anyone reading this, and many apologies if you spot something on this website that has a typo or doesn’t sound quite right!)
- I also speak good Italian but my Spanish is a bit rusty 🙂
- I did a BA in Politics and an MA in International Studies (and got a ‘Distinction’ for my dissertation about France and the Indochina War).
- Since 2000, I have been an editor and proofreader for British educational publishing companies (mainly humanities and languages), both in house (up to 2009) and freelance (2000-now). I have worked for Scholastic, Hodder Education, Pearson, Oxford University Press and IB Tauris in various capacities.
- I love reading, going to the cinema and theatre, photography, walking and cycling.
- I am a keen hatha yoga and Pilates practitioner, an assiduous meditator, and I believe I bring my experiences in these fields into my interactions with clients – a kind, caring, attentive, mindful, stress-free, intuitive attitude to life and people.